Planned obsolescence is generally considered as a negative business strategy that induces replace…ment needs and affects attachment dynamics, as opposed to the goal of elongating product lifetime. At the present, however, an early replacement of long-lasting products is preferred in at least two cases which can be addressed during the design stage i.e. when the cost of maintaining is higher than product benefits and when there are environmental reasons to replace obsolete products. Furthermore, designing meaningful products that help the user in his/her daily activities, while addressing environmental issues, could help affecting attachment even in standardized and utilitarian products, such as home appliances. In this study, the holistic view and the management of the complexity of Systemic Design, combined with the use of the IoT technologies are proposed using the refrigerator as a case study. Acquiring information is considered as a tool for product innovation; the data is divided into (i) static data, related to the product and (ii) dynamic data, which derive from the context of use and interaction with users. The latter can be acquired by investigating the object’s daily use and environment, with data acquisition through quantitative tools (sensors) and qualitative ones (feedback, questionnaires, interviews). IoT and data retrieval open a variety of possibilities in monitoring, accessing more precise knowledge of products and households useful for design purposes. This paper seeks to demonstrate how IoT can support and trigger a design transition towards more durable products and components, by focusing on sustainability and simplifying people’s lives in daily actions.
📜 PLATE'17 On the meaningfulness of data in product design for lifetime optimization
- 🎓 Breaking the Innovational Standstill in Dutch Primary Education: Motivating teachers to learn and apply new educational methods
- 🎓 FairData: A system to explore datasets as a tool to let data-centric researchers become aware of bias
- 🎓 Design for information flow between data scientists and researchers in Ford
- 🚩 [Open] Prototyping an Open Source Connected E-Bike for Remote Study
- 🚩 [Closed] Exploring the Design Space of Menstrual Tracking Technologies